In the year 1866, The High Court of judicature for the North-western province come into existence at Agra by replacing the old Sadar Diwani Adalat Sir Walter Morgan,Barrista-at-law and Mr Simpson were appointed the first chief justice and the first Registrar respectively of High Court Of North Western province.
In the year 1869, the scot of the High Court for north Western province was shifted from Agra to Allahabad and its designation was altered to the high court of Judicature at Allahabad .
By the U.P. High Court amalgamation order,1948, the chief court of Oudh (established on Nov 2.1925) was amalgamated with the High Court of Allahabad and the new High Court was Conferred the jurisdiction of the court.
On the eve of the Republic day celebration on 26th January,1950 the date of commencement of constitution of India .the High Court of Judicature at Allahabad come to have jurisdiction throughout the entire length and breath of the state of Uttar Pradesh.
The District Court of India are authorized by a judge, govern justice in India at district level. These court are under governmental and judicial control of the High Court of the state to which the district concerned belongs.
Sultanpur Judgeship was bifurcated from Faizabad judgeship and it come into existence in 11th March,1956. The name of first district judge was “Sri Tara Chand Kapoor” and the joining date of Hon'ble District Judge was 28th July,1956.
The Sultanpur Judgeship are having 33 court inside the Court campus and two outlying Courts functional at Kadipur and Musafirkhana. In addition to the sessions courts, there are 7 additional sessions court, Five Ex Cadre (Fast Track) courts and two Special Courts namely Courts(SC/SC Act) and Special Court(E.C.Act).
District Court Sultanpur Include--
District & Sessions Judge.
Additional District & Sessions Judge
Special Judge E.C.Act.
Special Judge S.C.S.T.Act.
Civil Judge(Senior Division).
Chief Judicial Magistrate(CJM).
Additional chief Judicial Magistrate(ACJM).
Civil Judge(Junior Division-South).
Civil Judge(Junior Division-North)
Additional Civil Judge(Junior Division).
These Court are under administrative and judicial control of High Court of Judicature at Allahabad.
Historical Background of Sultanpur District
The Sultanpur district Gazeteer published in 1903 A.D. sheds some light on the history and origine of the district. It notes that the chief land owning families of the time were the Rajputs of various clans, who possessed 76.16% of the total land area. Among them Raghuvanshies and the Rajkumars along-held over one-fourth of the district, while their kinsmen, the Bachgotis and Rajwars owned 11.4 and 3.4%, respectively. The Rajkumars were the proprietors of nearly the whole of Aldemau. Their chief was the Raja of Dera. The head of Bachgotis was the Raja of Kurwar while the taluqdar of Samrathpur represented another branch of the family. The chief of Rajwars was the taluqdar of Pratabpur. Another member of the Rajwars family was the Raja of Hasanpur. Allied to him were the families of Maniarpur and Gangeo and between them they owned a large portion of the central area. Next to Bachgotis and their kinsmen come the Bandhalgotis, who owned almost the whole of Amethi pargana. Their head was the Raja of Amethi, while the taluqdar Shahgarh belonged to the same clan. The Rajputs with large properties in the district were the Bhale Sultans who owned 4.72%, the Kanhapurias with 4.7%, and the Bais with 2.8%. Bhale Sultans were dwelling in the north west corner of the district in the parganas of Isauli, Musafirkhana and Jagdishpur. The Kanhpurias were chiefly confined to pargana Gaura Jamo, almost the whole of which belonged to them. The Bais were scattered about in small groups.
Lord Rama divided, during his lifetime, his vast kingdom among his brothers and sons. His son, Kush succeeded to the south Kosala with its capital at Ayodhya. The old city of Sultanpur which lay on the right bank of the Gomti is said to have been called Kusapura or Kusabhavanpur, having been named after Kusa, who is locally believed to have founded it. Kusa appears to have extended the Aryan ideals and institutions to the Vindhya region. The story of his marriage with a Nag princess testifies that he propagated Vedic culture among aborigines.
Afterwards the central power of Kosala became week and Dirghayajna, the ruler of Ayodhya, was subdued by Bhima, one of five Pandavas in the Mahabharat War (Mahabharata, Sabhaparva). A few generations later, in the period of king Para, Ayodhya was occupied by the king Divakara of Sravasti branch, founded by Rama's second son, Lava. The District then began to be ruled over by the Kosala kings from their capital at Sravasti. The tract of river Gomti around the village Dhopap (pargana Chanda, tehsil Kadipur) is described as Dhutpap in Visnu Puran. The original town was situated on the left bank of the Gomti. It is said to have been founded by Kusa, son of Rama, and to have been named after him Kusapura or Kusabhavanpur. This ancient city has been identified by General Cunnigham with the Kusapur mentioned by Hiuentsang, the Chinese traveller. He states that there was in his time a dilapidated stupa of Ashoka and that Buddha taught here for six months. There are Buddhist remains still visible at Mahmoodpur, a village, 8 km distant to the north-west of Sultanpur. The town subsequently fell into the hands of Bhars, who retained it until it was taken from them by Musalmans in the 12th century. About seven hundred and fifty years ago, it is said, two brothers, Sayid Muhammad and Sayid Ala-ud-Din, horse dealer by profession, visited eastern Avadh and offered some horses for sale to Bhar Chieftains of Kusabhavanpur, who seized the horses and put the two brothers to death. This came to the ear of Ala-ud-Din Khilji, who would not allow such an outrage to pass unpunished. Gathering a mighty force, therefore, he set out for Kusabhavanpur and took revenge by killing most of the Bhars by strategem adopted after a long drawn siege. Kusabhavanpur was reduced to ashes and the town of Sultanpur, so called from the rank of the victor, rose upon its ruins. This town was finally raised to the ground during the military operations connected with the reoccupation of the province in consequence of the inhabitants having been concerned in the murder of British officers at the outbreak of the freedom struggle of 1857.
Majrooh Sultanpuri, Famous poet
Shubham Upadhyay, Famous Hacker
Guru Datt Singh, was a king of Amethi & a great poet
Udai Nath, the second king of Amethi
Sukhdeo, wrote Chhanda Vichar.
Sahaj Ram, wrote Prahlad Charitra and Ramayana (1848).
Chitipal Raja Madho Singh, wrote Manoj Latika, Devicharitra, Saroj and Tridip.
Ram Naresh Tripathi, poet, critic and dramatist. His important works are Pathik Milan, Swapna, Manasi, Premlok, and Goswami Tulsidas Aur Unki Kavita. He also edited seven volumes of Kavita Kaumudi.
Mr. Indra Bhadra Singh, Mayang
Late shri Patandeen Mishra Fredome Fighter Vill – Phoolpur, Kurebhar
Mayank Singh President e-Teknovation (Software Company) & Param Bharat Seva Samiti (NGO)